I have been disillusioned with the recent pre-election atmosphere in America because the choices felt restrictive to me as a voter. Of course, it always comes down to two major candidates, but I dislike the idea of having to vote for "the lesser of two evils." I don't believe that one party is evil and one is good. That is not the basis of this political struggle in America. But I do hold certain values close to my heart and I try to pick the platform that best represents my own value system and what I, as a citizen of the United States, believe will benefit my country.
So, with Palin as McCain's running mate I have a renewed sense of hope for the future of America and I can vote with greater confidence. I am not simply resigned to voting because of duty, for once I feel energized and ready for this opportunity to vote.
Let me tell you why, in a simplified way. Sarah Palin has the perspective that our nation is in need of. Not just because she is a woman, but I do believe that having the perspective of a mother is unique and will be a strength to her. She understands the struggles of raising a family. She governed a state that perhaps is the key to dealing with the "energy crisis" that has been such a hot topic lately. She made smart economic decisions and cut unnecessary spending in Alaska, something the nation as a whole is in dire need of. As a Christian, she stands up for issues that other candidates flounder on and is opposed to same-sex marriage and abortion (consequently, the two major issues that the LDS church has spoken out against as well).
I did not expect to see such a candidate enter the race and I am glad to be surprised by such an amazing woman. While the opposition spouts a vague but incessant call for "change", whatever that really entails, I believe McCain and Palin will make the kinds of changes that I want to see happen in America. I truly love this nation and I have faith that the right choice will be made.
2 comments:
Also, it seems like she's unusually likely to actually become president!
She does seem to share some of the beliefs that we have in the LDS church, but there are things about her that really, really bother me.
As mayor, she tried to ban books at her local library after she cut funding to the local museum. (I'm sure Harry Potter was among the books she wanted to ban. She's a born-again evangelical Christian, after all.) After public outrage she said that the idea of banning them was "purely rhetorical."
She's also ANTI-Abortion, not Pro-Life, but ANTI-Abortion. That means to me she wants to see no abortions, whatsoever. I suspect that if she had her druthers women would have to carry all babies to term, including those poor things created during a rape or incest...and that's not something the LDS Church agrees with. As a husband and father, I would want my daughters and wife to be able to prayerfully decide in those horrible instances what was right to do.
Regardless, as Voting Day gets closer, I suggest you take a look at places like PolitiFact.Org and other fact checking websites--if only to see how true the statements of Palin and every other candidate this season are.
After all, as GI Joe says, "Knowing is half the battle." With knowledge, we can vote for someone we know, not out of fear, but based on facts. Good luck as you make your decision...it's not going to be easy, that's for sure.
Post a Comment