Successes:- Getting a job that is challenging and enjoyable to me (driving a school bus!)
- Selling my car and eliminating car payments and paying less for gas
- Becoming more financially stable
- Learning a lot about relationships
- Making some new friends
- Gaining new skills and improving on others: horseback riding, driving a bus, roller skating, sewing, teaching…
- Feeling happier
Last year I said that I most regretted:
- My financial decisions. Buying a car that was too expensive last year and shopping too frequently for things that I don't need has left me feeling frustrated.
Not true anymore!
- My attitude regarding relationships. I haven't been this closed off for some time. I've been unfriendly at times, critical, and just unavailable, even to people close to me.
Also not true! I’ve dated a few people and had good and varied experiences doing so. I don’t regret spending time with the men that I’ve met and I’m happy to say that most are now my friends.
- My lack of diligence. I haven't been very attentive to people that I care about and I've let a lot of important things slide. I include my willingness to do my calling at church in this category and the depth of my scripture study. I just feel lazy.
Kind of not true. I still need to be better about scripture study and visiting teaching, but I do feel like I’m doing my best as a gospel doctrine teacher and I enjoy working at the temple. I’ve been trying to keep contact with dear friends and I’ve been okay about that too.
Now for the rundown of last year’s resolutions… *cringe*
Here’s my grading system:Well done!You’re halfway there. Keep going!Meh. Try harder.Last year I tried to...1. Avoid library or credit card late fees. Keep track of when stuff is due and take care of it on time.2. Switch scripture study to the morning. I have the time and it needs to be more meaningful.3. Exercise in the morning as well-- walk or bike 45 minutes.4. Apply to grad schools by the deadlines in April for this fall.5. Start meeting new people to date by doing new things, perhaps even online dating... er, we'll see.6. Ask hard questions, even if the situation is awkward. It's not about confrontation, but communication.7. Get as much paid off on my credit cards as possible!8. Sell my car and get rid of that extra payment.9. Get a more affordable car.10. Speak less out of anger. Shut my mouth and walk away if I can't do anything positive about the situation.11. Practice my Russian daily.12. Practice piano daily.13. Learn to play some simple songs on the guitar.14. Get a guitar or borrow one.15. Continue going to the temple at least weekly.16. Avoid shopping at all if I don't have money.17. Be more prayerful. Ask for the things I really need. Give thanks sincerely and frequently.18. Stop saying unkind things about people. Period.19. Read more from my personal library of books.20. Tell people how much they mean to me more often.21. Say thank you more.22. Make quilts for each member of my family.23. Seek out opportunities to see and do new things locally.24. Write more!25. Take more responsibility for my decisions.26. Give away things I don't need.27. Cut out excuses. Apologize and then say what I will do differently the next time.28. Wear sexy shoes more often.29. Take the dogs on more walks.30. Compliment others more.31. Smile more.32. Stop agonizing over past mistakes and embarrassments.33. Hug people more.34. Be more polite on the road.35. Wait my turn and smile when I get there.
All considered, 2011 was a year of realigning priorities, becoming more stable, more confident, and more happy. I wasn't instantly competent at everything I set out to do; I made some dumb mistakes and cried a little about it from time to time, but I kept trying. Overall, I made some headway with new skills and gained some good experience in my work and in relationships. Hopefully 2012 will be even better. New resolutions are on their way...
No comments:
Post a Comment