Friday, December 16, 2011

Gratitude continued...

Henry B. Eyring's article in the most recent Ensign magazine has added a new layer of thought to what I previously wrote on gratitude. Check it out here: http://lds.org/liahona/2011/12/the-choice-to-be-grateful?lang=eng

At the end of the article was an activity called the "Gratitude Challenge." I accept!

1. Write 10 physical abilities you are grateful for.
I am grateful I can listen to music, dance, make good food, taste food, see beautiful things, read, reach out to others and hug them, write how I feel, walk as far as I need to go, and touch my toes.

2. Write 10 material possessions you are grateful for.
I am grateful for my soft, warm bed, the clothes I have to wear, my shoes to keep my feet dry, a car to get me to work, books to read, music to listen to, food to eat, the scriptures to inspire me, a computer to write these words, and a TV to watch ElF on (which is what I'm doing right now).

3. Write 10 living people you are grateful for.
I am grateful for my parents (that's two), my siblings (that's three), their spouses (two more), my good friends (that's more than the rest!)... and many, many more people who make my life worth living.

4. Write 10 deceased people you are grateful for.
I am grateful for my Savior who has done everything for me, President Hinckley for being a wise, kind prophet, Mormon for putting together the Book of Mormon, Moroni for preserving it for us, Joseph Smith for asking with sincerity, and some of my favorite authors: Leo Tolstoy, Aleksandr Pushkin, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Roald Dahl, and even though I don't know most of their names, all my ancestors who have made it possible for me to be here.

5. Write 10 things about nature you are grateful for.
I am grateful for the beautiful greenery in Oregon, the mountains in Utah, the sunrise and sunset (which I get to see most days as a school bus driver), hiking in the mountains, the warm ocean in Hawaii and the soft sand, thunder and lightning (when I'm indoors!), taking a horse on a trail ride, and watching animals in their natural settings.

6. Write 10 things about today you are grateful for.
I am grateful today was the last day of work before Christmas break, I did my route today with no problems, I drove young mothers with children today, I saw a beautiful sunrise and sunset, I had delicious ham and potatoes for lunch (provided by work), I went shopping with a friend who was very patient with me, I have a kind mother who washed my sheets after my dog peed on them!, I was able to give some small gifts to coworkers, I found a copy of a book I didn't know existed by a favorite author of mine (and it was autographed!), I found a cute skirt on sale, and I took a nap. I know that's more than ten.

7. Write 10 places on earth you are grateful for.
I am grateful for the cities I lived in in Ukraine, Portland, Oregon!, the top of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris where I watched a beautiful sunset, the view from the top of any hike I've ever done (especially Tom, Dick, and Harry ridge in the MT. Hood wilderness), a little place called Provo, Utah (especially the house I lived in on 500E), the Writing Fellows office on BYU campus, Eastmoreland Park, the West Linn library, the Portland, Oregon temple, my bedroom (I've lived in it off and on since I was 16)... and I visit these places often in my mind.

8. Write 10 modern inventions you are grateful for.
I am grateful for washing machines, cars, the internets, anything that plays music, roller skates, toasters, Kitchen Aid mixers, hot showers, feminine sanitary items, underwire bras...

9. Write 10 foods you are grateful for.
I am so grateful for turkey and cranberry, Hawaiian pizza, kalua pig with rice and macaroni salad, the McDouble mini meal, the crunchwrap, hot buttered toast, ambrosia salad with green jell-o, the temple cheese rolls, sushi, and instant maple Cream of Wheat.

10. Write 10 things about the gospel you are grateful for.
I am grateful that the gospel gives me hope, helps me to be more humble, teaches me to reach out to others, reminds me to be thankful for my Savior, helps me to know what I really need, gives me the opportunity to teach others and share my beliefs, shows me what love really is, allows me to be with my family forever, helps me to discipline my body, teaches me to enjoy every day.

No comments:

Fan Cast for Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive Series

After a long hiatus from blogging, I wanted to pick up again with a book recommendation. I just finished Oathbringer , the third bo...