Tuesday, January 27, 2009

is Lars.


I catch on to things about a year or so late as a rule. I'd heard about Lars and the Real Girl from a friend of mine and filed that thought away until I saw it for sale with other movies for Valentine's Day. So I bought it and brought it home. I am glad I did. It's a simple film about Lars, a late-bloomer who seems impossibly shy, even afraid of relationships (and people in general). He lives in the garage of his parents' house and keeps to himself. He's never shown interest in having a relationship, which worries his brother and sister-in-law. One day his love arrives. By mail. She's a lifesized doll he ordered off of the internet, but he treats her with the utmost courtesy and affection. It turns out he's having a delusion, but people around him still treat him with kindness and even warm up to "Bianca" his doll. In the end he grows out of this delusion and the beginnings of a relationship with a "real girl" are present.

I think I identify with Lars's character because there are times I've been almost this delusional. I am not a hermit, but I have my moments. I have also been in love with people that aren't real. I'll admit, I've fallen in love with many a delusion, not to say that the people underneath the delusions weren't good people, they were great people, but not exactly who I thought they were. I worry that I create too much meaning in my mind in relationships. It just comes so natural to me to imagine. This isn't really going anywhere significant, but hey, I liked the movie and haven't we all been a Lars at some point?

Here are some entertaining quotes too:

Gus: Pretend that she's real? I'm just not gonna do it. 
Dagmar: She is real. 
Gus: Well... 
Dagmar: She's right out there. 
Gus: Right, right, I get that, but I'm just not gonna, you know... 
Dagmar: You won't be able to change his mind, anyway. Bianca's in town for a reason. 
Gus: But - but... 
Dagmar: It's not really a choice. 
Karin: Okay. Okay, all right, we'll do it, whatever it takes. 
Gus: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. And everyone's gonna laugh at him. 
Dagmar: And you.  

Kurt: Listen up, Margo, those action figures are very important to me. They're worth a lot of money. And if I don't see every damned one back on my desk pretty soon, then, you can tell your teddy to watch his back. 
Margo: I'll return them, one at a time... You going to Cindy's party? 
Lars Lindstrom: Oh, no. 
Margo: I was hoping you would. I really wish you would. 
Lars Lindstrom: Do you think I could bring my girlfriend? 
Margo: Oh, um, yeah, yeah, I'm totally bringing somebody 
Lars Lindstrom: Hm. 

Hazel: Well that's how life is, Lars. 
Mrs. Gruner: Everything at once. 
Sally: We brought casseroles. 
Lars Lindstrom: Thank you. 
Lars Lindstrom: Um, is there something I should be doing right now? 
Mrs. Gruner: No, dear. You eat. 
Sally: We came over to sit. 
Hazel: That's what people do when tragedy strikes. 
Sally: They come over, and sit. 

2 comments:

lia said...

i wish i could be more like lars, and i haven't even seen the movie yet.

simplicity, simplicity, simplicity - didn't someone wise say that once?

Kayla said...

That movie cracked me up.

Fan Cast for Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive Series

After a long hiatus from blogging, I wanted to pick up again with a book recommendation. I just finished Oathbringer , the third bo...