Hello everyone! It is definitely time for an update. Some exciting things have happened since I last posted, well, at least they are exciting to me.
1. I got a new job!
I started work today at Human Solutions as their new Resident Services Specialist. I can already tell that it's right up my alley. I get to talk with the Russian-speaking residents from two low-income apartment complexes and help them with any of their problems or needs. I also get to work as a liason for these families and their children at school because one of our goals is to reduce dropouts. I was happy to find out that some of the kids I previously worked with in my mentoring program live in one of the complexes! They were pretty happy to see me too.
My favorite moment of the day today was talking to a nice babushka named Lidiya. She pulled me into her apartment and showed me pictures of all her children. She told me about her husband who died when he was only 27 and she was still pregnant with their fourth child. She told me about how hard it was to raise her children on her own and said that she was only able to do it with God's help. Then she hugged me and said I could come by anytime. I think I will.
2. I finished Phillip's quilt!
Here it is! It took me from August 2008 to August 2009, about one year. I first bought the fabric for it last August and I started on it that fall. It really has been such an organic project, growing and changing the entire time. I didn't know exactly what it would look like when I started and I am glad that it's surprised me a little. The houses were the first step, then I realized that I needed to join them with solid colored sashing in between. The color of the sashing, that deep maroon, was really an afterthought. I like it a lot, though. I knew I wanted to showcase the different fabrics somehow and the corner squares seemed like a good idea. I like them quite a bit. I hand quilted the whole thing and that is what took the most time. Here's a closeup on the quilting:
3. I went on a little trip to Forks with my cousin Joy and my aunt Paula.
It's good to know there's a heated pool AND it's the home of Twilight! But it gets better, seriously.
Here's Bella's red truck at the Fork's chamber of commerce.
This is the Swan residence, Bella's house.
Even Carlisle had a parking spot at the local hospital.
The Cullen's house was just down the road.
First beach was amazing. Too bad there was a lot of fog. I couldn't see much of the ocean.
We also went to the Hoh rainforest, but I don't have the strength to post anymore pictures tonight. We had a great time at the tiny town of Forks, and the beach and forest were so beautiful. It was surprising how many people had traveled to that remote place just because of Twilight. I guess it is a phenomenon.
* * *
Summer has had some nice surprises for me this year. I am grateful for all the good things that have happened and the fun things I've been able to do. I feel very blessed. I am enjoying one day at a time and trying not to think too hard about the end of the year coming, but I'm excited about that as well. Only three more months until Phillip comes home!
2 comments:
The quilt is GORGEOUS!!! It looks like you put a lot of work into it. I'm very impressed.
hand stitched?? are you kidding me?! i love it!! and, you're right, the solid maroon really highlights the houses well. and, i also must admit...i am jealous you went to forks!! i know i'd just be making fun of the whole "twilight town" the entire time i was there, but i would be loving every minute of it!
Post a Comment