Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A new obsession.


So I've already made it clear that I am obsessed with quilts, but now I am specifically obsessed with these quilts. They are the quilts of Gee's Bend. I first saw them when I went to the outdoor quilt show in Sisters, Oregon last weekend. Of the many, many quilts at the show, these were by far the most original. They have been called "some of the most miraculous works of modern art America has produced" by the New York Times. I am amazed by their spontaneous construction and brilliant colors. They are thought provoking. I wonder what was going through the minds of the women who pieced them and then quilted them. I wonder who taught them to quilt this way. It is also important to note that they are showcased as a group project, but they are made by many individual artists. That says something about the feeling of community that these quilts communicate. To me they express the individuality that a quilt should embody and yet they also pieces of history. I get a little put out with all the well-crafted quilts I see that completely lack individuality and creativity. It is not difficult to pick out a pattern, buy a few yards of fabric on sale, and produce a mediocre quilt that is technically perfect. There is a difference between art and craft in quilting and these quilts are art.

Here are some of the Gee's bend quilts that were showcased in the outdoor quilt show:


I am lucky enough to see even more of these quilts in person this month because Elizabeth Leach Gallery in Portland is running an exhibit! I can't wait!

1 comment:

big_smartmouth said...

okay, i want those quilts! i don't wanna' make them (mine would be u-g-l-y) i just want THOSE!

Fan Cast for Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive Series

After a long hiatus from blogging, I wanted to pick up again with a book recommendation. I just finished Oathbringer , the third bo...