Friday, May 16, 2008

is having deja vu.

Imagine that the person you are in love with is far away from you. You can't see him or speak to him. The days start piling up and they turn into years and you still miss him. You can't imagine yourself with anyone else. One day you meet someone who looks exactly like him, but who isn't him. It completely messes with your mind because you want to be with the person you love so much.

This sounds like a case of mistaken identity or deja vu, but it's my reality. My missionary has a twin brother, an identical twin brother. I knew this about him before he left, but I did not anticipate to have the kind of reaction that I had meeting his twin brother. I didn't know how much he would remind me of my missionary. I guess it was naive of me to think that I wouldn't be affected by this meeting. It's not that I'm attracted to his brother and it's difficult for me to be around him. The truth is, he just reminds me so much of my missionary that I almost had an anxiety attack. I was so acutely reminded of my missionary that I found myself panicking. I don't know what to do about this except not spent very much time with his brother. I feel silly that I didn't realize beforehand what this situation would do to me.

What would you do if this happened to you?

3 comments:

Lara said...

Just don't hang around him. That's what I would do. You've got LOTS of other guy friends to hang out with. That's my vote.

Kengo Biddles said...

Miki got weirded out at first hanging out with my younger sister (who is me, but with two x chromosomes, instead of one).

I think it will pass as you get to know him better and see where he's different from his brother, your beloved.

JJ said...

I'm not going to say "I told you so"... *wink* Because I didn't tell you so--I thought it. Sorry it's rough. Hard to know what I would do, but I'd probably limit time together to clear my head a bit and try to ease back into a friendship, if one is to be had. But who knows if that would work?

Fan Cast for Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive Series

After a long hiatus from blogging, I wanted to pick up again with a book recommendation. I just finished Oathbringer , the third bo...