Saturday, June 09, 2007

............ well, a title's not important.

St. Petersburg continues to be a really excellent experience. I will post more about my day to day activities some time later, but I just wanted to share one thing right now. In honor of my favorite poet's birthday, Pushkin, I will post one of his verses. I did a translation that has a pretty religious slant on it, but I feel really inspired by it. In light of the many difficulties that some of my dear friends have been dealing with lately, I feel like this poem is especially applicable. It is about times in our lives when we feel cheated or dissapointed by things that happen to us.

Если жизнь тебя обманет,
Не печалься, не сердись!
В день уныния смирись:
День веселья, верь, настанет.

Сердце в будущем живет;
Настоящее уныло:
Все мгновенно, все пройдет;
Что пройдет, то будет мило.

If life should ever dissapoint you,
Don't get angry, don't despair
When plagued by sin, bow down in prayer
Joy surely comes when all is through

Our hearts long for a higher glory
When days go by so dismally
Yet all is passing, cursory
And all we overcome goes sweetly

I know that in life's most difficult, most dissapointing moments we can overcome feelings of hopelessness and discouragement. I know that the Lord will give us joy if we turn to him. The feeling of peace that I have right now in my life is so wonderful. I wouldn't give it up for anything. I wish I could give this feeling to everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you could give that feeling to everyone as well. The hard thing is that you can't make anybody feel that feeling. Its all an individual choice and its based on faith. I hope that you, myself, and all of our friends will choose that, or continue to choose it.

Sean said...

Thanks for the poem. It was really good and touching. I hope that everyone can the peace you speak of too. I know that I have felt it sometimes and the wonderful feelings it brings. I'm glad that you are happy and are having fun! Enjoy your trip.

Fan Cast for Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive Series

After a long hiatus from blogging, I wanted to pick up again with a book recommendation. I just finished Oathbringer , the third bo...